School Safety SOP
JURONG WEST SECONDARY SCHOOL
SOP For EMERGENCY EVACUATION
The above will may happen at any time during the school term. There will be a continuous ringing of the fire alarm bell for about 30 seconds.
a. To evacuate the whole school in the shortest possible time.
b. To train pupils not to panic when faced with dangers and emergency.
c. To inculcate in pupils a sense of urgency and orderliness during an emergency.
2. Dos and Don’ts
a. Teachers will supervise the evacuation of the classes that they are in at that particular time.
b. Pupils are to assemble outside the classroom and quickly proceed to the assembly area.
c. Do not bring anything except the class attendance file.
d. Stay together as a class.
e. Be calm and do not panic.
f. Do not go against the traffic flow (along the corridors).
g. If anyone is found missing, report to the Form Teacher immediately.
h. Listen to the latest instructions.
i. All classes will assemble in the school field (Assembly Area)
3. Classes will evacuate in the following manner:
a. Occupants on the ground floor will walk quickly towards parade square and past the canteen via the Cyber café, Music Terrace and make their way to the school field using Hockey Pitch Gate.
b. Occupants on the second storey (Staff Room/SH Room) will use the spiral staircase A3 or staircase A1 and walk across the parade square and past the canteen via the Cyber Café, Music Terrace and proceed to the school field using (Hockey Pitch Gate).
c. Occupants on the third floor (Library) will descend to the ground floor using staircase A2, walk down another flight of stairs and make their way to the school field via the canteen.
a. Occupants on the ground floor will turn left and walk to the school field via the canteen.
b. Occupants on the second, and forth levels occupying Rooms 01 and 02 will turn left and make their way through staircase B1 to get to the football field.
a. Occupants on the second, and fourth levels occupying rooms near the Staff Room will turn right using staircase A1 and make their way through the ground floor past the Cyber Cafe and walk to the school field (See Annex B). All occupants on the third level will turn left and walk towards the hall and make use of staircase G2 (next to the hall) or staircase B 2 to the ground floor to the football field(See Annex C).
a. Ground floor classes 3T1, 1T1, 1N2 and 1N1 will turn left, move through between Blk B and Blk E pass Cyber Café to the school field.
b. Occupants of classrooms on 2nd and 4th levels 1E4,1E3, 2E4, 2E3 will turn left and make use of staircase C2 to get to the ground floor, move through the corridor between Blk B and Blk E pass Cyber Café to the school field using Gate A/B (See Annex A) .
c. Occupants of classrooms on the 2nd and 4th levels 1E1, 1E2, 2E1, 2E2 will turn right and make use of staircase C1 to get to the ground floor, move through the corridor between Blk B and Blk E pass Cyber Café and make their way to the school field and enter by Gate A/B (See Annex A).
d. All occupants on the 3rd level 2N1, 2N2, 2T1 and 2T2 will turn left and walk towards the hall and make use of staircase B1 to the ground floor and pass Music Terrace to the football fieldenter by Gate A/B. (See Annex C)
a. Ground floor classes 3N2, 3N3, 3T1 and 3T2 will turn left and walk straight to the new side- gate C or Gate D to the football field.
b. All occupants on the 2nd and 4th level 3E5, 3E3, 4E4,4E5,4T1 and 4N1 will turn LEFT and use staircase D1 to the ground floor and proceed to the new Gates C and D to the football field (See Annex B).
c. All Occupants on 3rd level 4N2, 4N3, 4N4 and 3E1 will turn RIGHT towards the Hall and make use of staircase G2 (next to the Hall) to the football field pass Music Terrace and make useof Gate A or Gate B (See Annex C) .
a. Occupants on the ground floor Art Rooms will walk pass the Music Terrace and make their way to the school field
b. Occupants on the 2nd and 4th levels: Choir Room, Training Room and History Room, 5N1, 5N2, 5N3 and ML 1 will turn left and use staircase E1 to descend and pass the Music Terrace to the school field.
c. Occupants on the 3rd level 4E1,4E2, 4E3 and Choir Room will turn right and walk towards the Hall and use staircase G2 (next to the Hall) to descend and pass Music Terrace to side-gate A/B and proceed to football field.
Occupants in the AV and Music Rooms will use staircase E1 or G1 to descend to the ground floor and walk their way to the school field.
Occupants in the canteen will make their way to the school field and occupants in the hall will make use of staircases G1 and G2.
a. Occupants on the ground floor will turn right and walk pass the canteen to the school field.
b. All Occupants on 2 nd 3 rd & 4th levels will descend to the ground floor using staircase H 1 and turn left and then walk across the parade square and pass the Cyber Café to the school field.
a. Block D occupants using staircase D1 will make use of Gate C or D to the Assembly Area.
b. All occupantson level 3 of Blks B,C,D and E will use staircase G2 or B1 (next to the Hall) to proceed to the football field (AA)
4. Duties of Assembly Area Teachers
a. Check the class attendance at the assembly point.
b. Maintain silence and orderliness at the assembly point.
c. InformHead AA of missing pupil/s
5. Duties of Non-Form Teachers
To quickly check and ensure that no one stays behind either in the toilets or special rooms (laboratories etc.) Please refer to Organization Chart.
6. Duties of Clerical Officers/Office Attendants
CSO to bring class registers to the assembly point and distribute them to the Teachers.
SCHOOL TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PLAN
1. Road safety is everyone’s responsibility. The school will work with students and stakeholders (e.g. parents and the community) on correct road safety behaviour to be observed by all.
2. Road safety education for students should be part of the school’s efforts in ensuring the safety of students.
3. Every effort should be made to communicate the school’s road safety rules to parents and stakeholders.
4 Therisk assessment of road safety can be found in Annex A. The risk assessment is conducted annually or when an incident occurs.
Operating Hours of School Gates
5. The main school gate and the side gates will be opened from 0600 to 1900 on weekdays.
6. On Saturday the school is not opened unless for specific purposes.
7. The side gate with the sheltered walkway will be opened from 0700 to 0720 on weekdays only. It will then be closed throughout the day but will only be opened after dismissal time to 1500 daily. In the event of inclement weather, this gate will remain open.
8. Delivery vehicles are not permitted into the school compound from 0730 to1100.
Safe Routes for Vehicles
9. Staff driving to school are to park their vehicles at any of the three different parking lots within the school.
10. Visitors driving into the school are to park their vehicles at parking area B.
11. School buses are to park at the bus bay located at the back of the school.
12. Parents who are driving their child to school in the morning are not allowed to drive into the school. They are to drop their child off at the side gate outside the school.
13. In case of inclement weather, parents may drop their child off at the school foyer and drive off immediately thereafter.
Safe Routes for Pedestrians
14. Pedestrians coming to school will either enter the school via Gate A, Gate B or Gate C.
15. Pedestrians entering the school via Gate A are expected to use the sheltered walkway and proceed to Entrance 1.
16. Pedestrians entering the school via Gate B are to watch out for incoming and outgoing traffic and cross diagonally to Entrance 2 if they proceeding to the parade square.
17. Pedestrians entering the school via Gate B are to watch out for traffic and cross to the school foyer if they are proceeding to Block A.
18. Pedestrians entering the school via Gate C are to follow the instructions given by the security officers who will facilitate the crossing in front of the main gate. They will then watch out for incoming traffic and cross diagonally to Entrance 2 if they are proceeding to the parade square.
19. Pedestrians entering the school via Gate C are to watch out for traffic and cross to the school foyer if they are proceeding to Block A.
Safe Routes for Cyclists
20. Cyclist will only enter the school via Gate C. They will dismount their bicycles before entering the gate and push their bicycles to the bicycle stand and park their bicycles there. They will then return to Gate C and follow the rest of the pedestrians.
Deployment of Staff in Traffic Marshal Duties for Vehicles, Pedestrians and Cyclists
21. The security officers will act as traffic marshals. They will man both main gate and the gates used by pedestrian from 0600 to 0730 on weekdays, during school term.
22. The security officer manning Gate A (X 1 ) will ensure that pedestrians observe road safety rules when crossing the driveway and control vehicles movement outside the school.
23. The operations manager will oversee the entire operation.